The iPad does have VPN software built in, same as the iPhone since it's running
the same OS. Haven't tried to use it to connect to either Company's VPN I work
with, so don't know for sure how it works. Also haven't tried the TN3270 app
($35.00 is pretty pricey for an iOS app). You can also connect a bluetooth
keyboard to the iPad, so your not limited to using the screen keyboard which
can take up a lot of room on the screen.

There are number of apps that will read PDF files, I use Goodreader. I have the
entire CA library, VM 5.3, 5.4, 6.1, zVPS 3.7, zOS 1.8 (last release of z/OS i
had to work on), camera manuals, and all other softcopy documentation files for
products/software I own on mine. Works great. When in portrait mode, a full
page can be viewed and read easily. This is actually the killer app for me that
made the iPad something more than just a large iPod Touch.

There are a number of VNC applications some free, some pay (that don't cost as
much as that TN3270 app).

You can attach a thumb drive to the iPad with some apps (and you have the
camera connection kit, which changes the iPod dock connector into a USB
connector). Without the apps, you have to do some funny stuff to connect a
thumb drive to the iPad. The camera connection kit was designed only to be used
for photo's, so you have to make your thumb drive look like an SD card or CF
card that's been in a camera (ie. have a DCIM folder). If that's there, it will
recognize the drive. I've never tried this, just read about it after the first
time I tried to attach a thumb drive to my iPad and it didn't see it.  I just
copied all the PDF's onto the iPad via iTunes into the Goodreader app. Murphy
says the time your most likely to need the thumb drive is when you have
forgotten it since it's an extra piece of equipment to drag along. Just load
them up on the iPad and don't worry about it.

I don't have the 3G version, just the WiFi version. I do have a standalone
hotspot that we use for all of us when we travel or someone is away from the
house but needs an internet connection, mostly me. I used to have a PC card
cell modem, the new hot spot version is much more useful. Everyone can use it,
as it just creates a small person WiFi zone, the kids iPod Touch'es, the wife's
PC laptop, my iPad, my Macbook Pro, the Wii, the Nintendo DSXL, it goes on and
on. Anything that can do WiFi can be connected to this device that we take with
us when we are not home, and be passed around to different family members when
they need it during the rest of the time.

Usually using your phone entails getting a phone as modem option from your cell
provider, as most don't allow this without being jailbroken or cracked to allow
it. It's a revenue source for them, so they don't like to give it away for
free. It also ties up your cell phone when your doing it. That's the other
advantage of using a separate device, but the separate device will cost you
more that using your phone even paying for the additional service.

Robert Reuscher
NR5AR