I suspect the developer is being somewhat influenced by the z/OS
convention which simply warns you.

But, at the same time, it halts the IPL and also gives you the option to
select the appropriate duplicate.

z/VM does not have the select option so if IBM insists on retaining the
"W" class for the message they might also consider adding a select option
which would go a long way to making the z/VM IPL much less error prone.

"Schuh, Richard" <rsc...@visa.com>
12/27/2010 12:03 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Duplicate VOLSERs at IPL

Which begs the question, what are the criteria for determining the level
of a message?

I would think that something that could cause potentially serious system
problems, like getting an incorrect CP OWNED volume, would warrant an E.
On the other hand, if the duplicated volser is for a volume having only
user minidisks, a W might be appropriate as this can be straightened out
after the ipl. Even that W is open for debate. If it is something that
needs to be fixed before letting the users on the system, an E might be
the correct level for the volumes that are merely attached to the system.

Regards,
Richard Schuh