>  HCP954I DASD rdev1 VOLID volid IS A DUPLICATE OF DASD rdev2

Nonetheless, I believe that the message begs the question: why is that an
"I"-level information message rather than a "W"-level warning message?

The operator response states:
"Operator Response:  Verify that the volume mounted on DASD rdev1 is the
one to
be used by the system. If it is not, CP may perform incorrect allocation
on
the volume specified. Shut down the system and remove the incorrectly
labeled
volume that is a duplicate. This message usually occurs after a system
restart
when users have mounted volumes with labels identical to those of other
user
or CP volumes."

I believe that "CP may perform incorrect allocation on the volume
specified.  Shut down the system and remove the incorrectly labeled
volume that is a duplicate." are pretty outage-intensive warnings.  If the
situation could be that critical, it should be a Warning-level message.

I'll open a PMR for this.

Mike Walter
Aon Hewitt
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"Stephen Powell" <zlinux...@wowway.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
10/20/2010 01:27 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Duplicate VOLSERs at IPL

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 14:38:24 -0400, Alan Altmark wrote:
> Rich Corak has explained on previous occasions how volser recognition
> works.  If CP detects a duplicate volser for a device to be attached to
> SYSTEM at IPL, you will get
>
>   HCP954I DASD rdev1 VOLID volid IS A DUPLICATE OF DASD rdev2
>
> and you are responsible to ensure that rdev2 is the one you intended to
be
> attached to the system.  Out of all the volumes on the system with that
> volid, the lowest *device number* (address) will win, without regard to
> who responds first.

Looks like my guess was wrong.  But you can still wind up with the wrong
volser mounted if the right device doesn't respond for some reason,
as Alan has said.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.