George:
Not sure we understand the question, but...

Without DIRMAINT, try "DIRMAP (GAPFILE DEVSORT"
  - Generate two files, one with only the Gaps and other with the
allocated cylinders, both classified by VOLSER.

With DIRMAINT, try "DIRM FREE" and "DIRM USED" to get files like the same
proposal... Or, "DIRM DIRMAP (GAPFILE DEVSORT"

"DIRM HELP DIRMAP" shows:

Devsort
    requests that the report is to be sorted by device type followed by
volume
    label. The default is to sort by volume label.

Gapfile
    Generate a file listing gaps in addition to a report detailing the
current
    DASD utilization.

    Note:  If you use the GAPFILE option without using the EXCLUDE option
and
           excluded full volume overlays are defined on your system no gap

           data will be returned.  Use the EXCLUDE option to eliminate the

           excluded full volume overlays from consideration when building
the
           gap data.

    The gapfile is listed in the following format:
    Field Use
    1    volid of disk
    2    device type of disk.
    3    start cylinder/block of gap
    4    end cylinder/block of gap
    5    number of cylinders/blocks in gap

         Note:  All fields are blank delimited and not bound to a specific

                column range.

Clovis