DIRMAP has a table of known disksizes (and one can define extra in a control
file).  DIRMAP guesses the size of a pack by looking at the last cylinder
being used.  For example:
 the last minidisk ends on cyl 400 --> DIRMAP thinks it is a model 1, 1113
cylinders and will report 401-1112 as gap
I'll send you the document I wrote to tell my former customer how I set up
our directory (with a FULLPACK user for example).

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support