On: Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 03:50:30PM -0500,George Henke/NYLIC Wrote:

} Just one problem.
} It does not show the GAPs after the last extent on a VOLSER.
} It would be nice to know the GAPS on the tailend of a VOLSER also.
} Must I put a dummy entry on the last cylinder to generate a GAP in DIRMAP
} and/or DISKMAP?
}
} Is there a workaround for this on VM Tools?

At my last job before I retired to a life of ease :-) I had a large
series of execs and xedit macros that produced a map of each DSAD
including gaps and the gap after the last user mdisk (if any).

I don't want to post it because its too big and uses some charactistics
of the installation you might not have, but here are a few lines of a
macro that discovered the number of cylinders on the DASD so you could
check for a gap at the end:

   'NFIND ______'                     /* Get                           */
   'EXTRACT /CURLINE/'                /*  the                          */
   vsn = translate(left(curline.3,6)) /*    volser.                    */
   parse value diagrc(8,'QUERY DASD' vsn, 80) with cp_rc . . cuu err '15'x
   if cp_rc ^= 0 | err = 'was not found.'  /* Error?                   */
      then iterate                    /* Yes, ignore this vol.         */
   parse value diagrc(8,'QUERY DASD DETAILS' cuu) with cp_rc . ,
      'CYLS =' ncyl '15'x
   if cp_rc ^= 0                      /* Error?                        */
      then iterate                    /* Yes, ignore this vol.         */
   ncyl = strip(ncyl, 'L')            /* Drop leading blanks.          */

Note: You need priv class D (at least) to do this.

--
Rich Greenberg  Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 941 378 2097
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67