Thankyou Alan - that succinctly lifts my understanding to the level
of, "It's physically possible but really, really inadvisable because
..." followed by exactly the concerns that I would have felt compelled
to raise here had the consensus been that it really was as easy as the
manual appears to suggest.

I instinctively feel that the, 'right' way to do shared security is
via a single logical server that is consulted and which pronounces on
all access requests that arise within its domain of influence - in
other words, within z/VM, an ESM that acts as a channel between CP and
the True Lord of Security, simply passing requests in one direction
and decisions in the other direction.

Shared datasets were good in their day, but that day has now passed.

Many thanks to all for the excellent responses - I am now content
that, when asked, I can honestly deliver an accurate picture of RACF's
capabilities and limitations in this area.

Cheers folks.

Jeff :-)