PIPE doesn't always use CSL call to read SFS files.  It depends on what is
specified in the parameters coded on the < stage.  MAILIT passes a filemode,
so PIPE will use the classic driver "<mdsk" and not "<SFS".
And, indeed, I have some vague memories having encountered some problem
where PIPE gave RC=0 with a problem in SFS.  When using <SFS, PIPE did
indeed display the correct CSL reasoncodes and ended with a non-zero
returncode.

With the following change, you can instruct MAILIT to use to use <SFS if
possible:
Go to subroutine:
  SMTP_MimeFiles: /* Handle MIME headers for SMTP attached files.    */
Some 25 lines down, make it read as follows, the red lines are new.
   if MimeOpt.at#.0TXT then do
      mRead='VAR MIMEOPT.'at#'.0STR direct!Deblock Linend
      'PIPE' mRead'!COUNT bytes MaxLine!VAR T'
      parse var t siz lrecl
   end; else do
      t=left(strip(fm),1)
      call csl 'DMSQFMOD retc reas t buffer flag'
      Select
       When reas<>0  then mRead='<' fn ft fm
       when flag=3!flag=4 then mRead='<' fn ft fm
       Otherwise mRead='<SFS' fn ft fm 'WORKUNIT PRIVATE'
      end
      /*say 'mRead='mread */
      parse var MimeOpt.at#.0SIZE siz lrecl
   end
If that indeed cures the problem, I could make that change to MAILIT for
everyone. ("cure" is not the right word here, better is "make the SFS
problem visible").
You could also send me such a small, 4 records, file s that I can have a
look at it:
  - transfer such a file to your reader
  - PIPE READER FILE nnnn|> RDRFILE nnnn A
  - VMARC PACK RDRFILE nnnn A MAILPRB VMARC A
and send me the VMARC