On Tuesday, 01/25/2011 at 11:15 EST, louis.gai...@its.ms.gov wrote:
> I am trying to create a vswitch with vlan capablitites I am using the
> osa-express implementatiion guide chapter 11
>
> 1.  I defined the switch ( define vswitch vsw3 rdev fa00 eth vlan 12
portt
> trunk

Welcome to z/VM.  As a matter of Good Security Policy, I believe in
explicit authorization so as to avoid confusion and errors in the future.

1.  Change VLAN 12 to VLAN 666 (or some
unused/unauthorized/not-valid-on-your-switch VLAN).  Do NOT use the NATIVE
VLAN id for this value.
2.  Remove PORTTYPE TRUNK.  PORTTYPE, like PORTNAME, is an Abomination,
never doing what anyone expects it to do.  Never use either of those
options [I gesture in the manner of a Jedi Knight exerting influence on
your mind].
3.  SET VSWITCH VSW3 GRANT <userid> VLAN 12
4.  Do NOT configure the Linux guests to be VLAN-aware.  That is, do not
use vconfig.
5.  If you have a guest that needs access to more than one VLAN on the
same VSWITCH, use SET VSWITCH VSW3 PORTTYPE TRUNK VLAN 12 13 14 and *do*
use vconfig.
5.  If a QUERY VSWITCH VSW3 ACCESS ever shows you a guest with VLAN 666,
you will know that you did not specify a "proper" VLAN id on the GRANT.  A
very nice audit tool.

Just so folks are aware, if I ever show up at your company to perform a
z/VM system management "health check", I will be looking at your VSWITCH
administration practices very closely.  :-)

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices