My guess is that you can install on models larger than model 9, but you will
need the same number of volumes as for an installation on model 9.

This idea/guess is confirmed by the second sentence that you read.

It is however possible that the allocation for page and spool would only
cover the model 9 area.  If you want you can change them to fullpack
manually after the installation.  A CP Q ALLOC MAP -executed after
installation- will tell you how the allocation is.  If they go higher than
10016, they will probably be fullpack.  So, remember: verify at the end, and
assure the defintions of the dummy $PAGE$ and $SPOOL$ users in the CP
directory match with what Q ALLOC MAP says.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support