I did a RSU this past  weekend, and applied the PSP service on top of that
( which was automatically shipped when order RSU ) needed for Z/10 to Z/196
upgrade ( opted for it on 3592 cart )
all went well, I made sure I had a few dif types of back up's before
started, ie: copied res to spare volume, also dumped to cartridge DDR etc.
used GC24-6099-05 Guide for Automated Installation and Service ( VM 5.4 )
And there is good advice from list

 z/VM Version 5 Release 4.0, service level 1003 (64-bit)
Generated at 02/13/11 09:36:11 CST
IPL at 02/13/11 09:42:36 CST

Augie

             Billy Bingham
             <billy.bingham839
             @suddenlink.net>                                           To
             Sent by: The IBM          IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
             z/VM Operating                                             cc
             System
             <IBMVM@LISTSERV.U                                     Subject
             ARK.EDU>                  z/VM PSP Buckets

             02/16/2011 11:44
             AM

             Please respond to
               The IBM z/VM
             Operating System
             <IBMVM@LISTSERV.U
                 ARK.EDU>

All,

Having never applied service of any kind to z/VM, what would be a WAG to
apply say PSP or any hardware buckets.

Thanks,

Billy