Chip,

The SYSTEM CONFIG supplied with z/VM 5.4.0 didn't go very far into the
future.  Maybe the VM Lab knows if some future congressionally-mandated
timezone changes that we don't know about?  :-)

The distributed SYSTEM CONFIG for 5.4.0 contained only these statements
related to timezone:
---<snip>---
Timezone_boundary on 2007-03-11 at 02:00:00 to EDT
Timezone_boundary on 2007-11-04 at 02:00:00 to EST

Timezone_boundary on 2008-03-09 at 02:00:00 to EDT
Timezone_boundary on 2008-11-02 at 02:00:00 to EST

Timezone_boundary on 2009-03-08 at 02:00:00 to EDT
Timezone_boundary on 2009-11-01 at 02:00:00 to EST

Timezone_boundary on 2010-03-14 at 02:00:00 to EDT
Timezone_boundary on 2010-11-07 at 02:00:00 to EST

Timezone_boundary on 2011-03-13 at 02:00:00 to EDT
Timezone_boundary on 2011-11-06 at 02:00:00 to EST
---<snip>---

Using the SYSTEM CONFIG as a single-source-data is a good idea.  But it
depends on the security access of the virtual machines running Michael
Coffin's application.
I don't tend to give R/O access to MAINT's CFn R/O for to general users.
"Need to know" and all that.

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"Chip Davis" <c...@aresti.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
03/03/2011 12:37 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Determining Daylight Savings Time Status

Not to take anything away from the solutions already offered, but
wouldn't a Rexx exec (or pipe) that reads the SYSTEM CONFIG file be a
single-source-data solution?  I'd rather depend on the accuracy of an
IBM-supplied file than to worry about making sure my (or someone
else's) file keeps up with the Congress-critters meddling.

Besides, it's a SMOP.

-Chip-

On 3/3/11 14:36 Michael Coffin said:
> Hi Folks,
>

> Does anybody have a program or know of a way to determine if a given
> date falls within a Daylight Savings Time range?  The CP QUERY TIMEZONE
> command will show you defined timezones, and which one is active ? but
> not the start/end dates of the zone.
>

> I?m trying to avoid coding up a hard-coded table in a REXX exec ? but
> can?t for the life of me figure out any other way to do it, and even
> though the zones are coded in SYSTEM CONFIG I can?t find any way to
> query them in VM.
>

> Ideally, I need to do something like:  DST=IsThisDST(mm/dd/yy) ? and I
> only really care about the calendar date (even though DST doesn?t
> normally ?kick in? until 2:00am).
>

> -Mike

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.