We recently added two 10Gb OSA cards to our Z9 to replace our old 1Gb
cards. I'm trying to figure out how to convert from the old cards to the

new (zVM 5.4), while having an easy backout method.

SYSTEM CONFIG has these statements

 DEFINE VSWITCH VSWITCH1 RDEV 1E08 CONN CONTROLLER *
 DEFINE VSWITCH VSWITCH2 RDEV 1F08 CONN CONTROLLER *

 MODIFY VSWITCH VSWITCH1 GRANT TCPIP

 MODIFY VSWITCH VSWITCH2 GRANT TCPIP

 DEFINE LAN LINUXLAN OWNER SYSTEM TYPE QDIO

Apparently because of the 'CONTROLLER *' CP gets to decide who controls t
he
device(s).  They're not attached to TCPIP.

q 1e08-1e0a

OSA  1E08 ATTACHED TO DTCVSW2  1E08 DEVTYPE OSA         CHPID F9 OSD
OSA  1E09 ATTACHED TO DTCVSW2  1E09 DEVTYPE OSA         CHPID F9 OSD
OSA  1E0A ATTACHED TO DTCVSW2  1E0A DEVTYPE OSA         CHPID F9 OSD
q 1f08-1f0a

OSA  1F08 ATTACHED TO DTCVSW2  1F08 DEVTYPE OSA         CHPID FD OSD
OSA  1F09 ATTACHED TO DTCVSW2  1F09 DEVTYPE OSA         CHPID FD OSD
OSA  1F0A ATTACHED TO DTCVSW2  1F0A DEVTYPE OSA         CHPID FD OSD

In AUTOLOG2's PROFILE EXEC, the DTCVSW1 and DTCVSW2 get started before

TCPIP.

Not that it makes any difference - we have connectivity - but is this the

normal way to set up VSwitch?

Besides SYSTEM CONFIG, there are references in the USER DIRECT entry for

TCPIP

USER TCPIP ***** 128M 256M ABG

 INCLUDE TCPCMSU

*

 OPTION QUICKDSP SVMSTAT MAXCONN 1024 DIAG98 APPLMON
 SHARE ABSOLUTE 20% LIMITSOFT

 IUCV ALLOW

 IUCV ANY PRIORITY

 IUCV *CCS PRIORITY MSGLIMIT 255

 IUCV *VSWITCH MSGLIMIT 65535

CONSOLE 009 3215 T DVGPROP

 NICDEF   B010 TYPE QDIO DEV 3 LAN SYSTEM LINUXLAN
 NICDEF   1E08 TYPE QDIO DEV 3 LAN SYSTEM VSWITCH1
 NICDEF   1F08 TYPE QDIO DEV 3 LAN SYSTEM VSWITCH2
 LINK 5VMTCP40 491 491 RR

 LINK 5VMTCP40 492 492 RR

 LINK TCPMAINT 591 591 RR

 LINK TCPMAINT 592 592 RR

 LINK TCPMAINT 198 198 RR

 MDISK 191 3390 8932 005 V6R540  MR *****   *****

In sysname TCPIP there's a reference in a few places:

  DEVICE    VSW1E08  OSD       1E08 PORTNAME DEVVSW1  SecRouter
  LINK      VSW1E08L QDIOETHERNET VSW1E08

  DEVICE    VSW1F08  OSD       1F08 PORTNAME DEVVSW2  SecRouter
  LINK      VSW1F08L QDIOETHERNET VSW1F08

  DEVICE    GLNB010  OSD       B010 PORTNAME DEVGLN1

  LINK      GLNB010L QDIOETHERNET GLNB010

  HOME

  010.008.190.002    OSAV
  010.008.128.014    VSW1E08L
  010.008.130.014    VSW1F08L
  010.008.185.001    GLNB010L

  START VSW1E08
  START VSW1F08
  START GLNB010

And in MPROUTE CONFIG:

  OSPF_Interface
       IP_Address=10.8.128.14
       Attaches_To_Area=0.0.0.2
       Name=VSW1E08L
       Hello_Interval=5
       ... more stuff

  OSPF_Interface
       IP_Address=10.8.130.14
       Attaches_To_Area=0.0.0.2
       Name=VSW1F08L
       ... more stuff

  Interface
       IP_Address=10.8.190.2
       Name=OSAV

The new OSA cards are addresses 2708-270A and 2F08-2F0A

This is my guess of what I should do, but it's just that; a guess.  I'd

like to hear the right way to go about this with minimal outage/impact an
maximum safety/backout-ability.

If I want to test the 2708 OSA card, I could

Update sysname TCPIP to change the 1E08 address and names to 2708
Update MPROUTE CONFIG to change the link name to match
Update TCPIP user direct entry to change the nicdef from 1E08 to 2708

Enter CP commands from console

FORCE TCPIP
SET VSWITCH VSWITCH1 RDEV 2708
(maybe set mdcache system off?  That's gotten me in the past)
AUTOLOG TCPIP

Use TCPMAINT to NETSTAT DEV and look for bytes in/out

Assuming there is traffic on the new OSA, repeat the process for the
1F08/2F08

Update SYSTEM CONFIG to change the VSWITCH info and run CPSYNTAX

Thanks for any and all advice.