I could have sworn I had seen something about this in a presentation
regarding "best practices" for configuring z/OS & z/VM LPAR's that share
the same DASD subsystems but now that I need it, no joy.

We have 2 (z10) CEC's, each with z/VM and z/OS LPAR's attached via FICON
Directors to a pair of DS8700's.  As currently configured all of the DASD
is defined on common LCU's and all of the DASD is online to all systems.
This makes me nervous but perhaps my fears are unfounded?  My gut tells me
that a better configuration would be having the VM DASD segregated onto
dedicated LCU's and the rest of the MVS DASD on their own LCU's - and that
the respective devices not be online to the "foreign" OS's.  Due to other
recent discoveries we have some DASD reconfiguration work ahead of us
anyway and, if it's worthwhile, I'd like to pile on with getting the VM
DASD to be isolated as part of that work - but at the moment I can't
quantify to those that would do the work why.

Are there good reasons or am I making mountains where there are no
molehills?  TIA.

Karl S Huf | Senior Vice President | World Wide Technology
840 S Canal, Chicago, IL, 60607 | phone (312)630-6287 | k...@ntrs.com
Please visit northerntrust.com
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication is confidential, may be
privileged and is meant only for the intended recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify the sender ASAP and delete this
message from your system.

IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To the extent that this message or any attachment
concerns tax matters, it is not intended to be used and cannot be used by
a taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by
law. For more information about this notice, see
http://www.northerntrust.com/circular230