You're hitting the nail on the head..   'best practice' is to dedicate the
DASD to each LPAR in the IODEF..  but this is best practice when security or
data integrity demands 'physical' separation.   It keeps you from shooting
yourself in the foot and makes it impossible for an LPAR to effect another's
DASD (unless the IODEF allows it).   It comes at a cost, though.

You also have to take other things into consideration..  Maybe you want to
backup your z/VM system volumes from z/OS - maybe you want the flexibility
to put a free volume on either LPAR quickly without loading a new IODEF.
 What are the real requirements and restrictions you have to live under?
 What makes sense to you in terms of keeping things 'safe'?

Some solutions beyond IO definitions (from a z/VM perspective - maybe others
can talk about z/OS):

-  Update SYSTEM CONFIG on z/VM to only put online the addresses that you've
designated belong to the z/VM LPAR.    Make that your control and update it
if you bring DASD dynamically to give to z/VM
-  Use AUTOLOG1/2 PROFILE EXEC to VARY OFF/ON the appropriate addresses so
z/VM only has online what belongs to it.   This is now your control over
what's online to z/VM or not.

The only way to really prevent someone with privs from varying on the DASD
is to make the control the IODEF..  the LPAR only sees what belongs to it -
period.

The real question is 'what are the rules I must abide by'? -- maybe you have
a company policy that addresses it - maybe you don't.  Within those
boundaries (or lack of them) - come up with the safest way to implement with
the lowest amount of effort.

You're not making mountains -- you have valid questions..  and the valid
security/integrity concern of an LPAR having access to another's data.  You
need some solution to keep it all straight for sure!

Scott Rohling