On Tuesday, 04/12/2011 at 10:41 EDT, Chip Davis <c...@aresti.com> wrote:
> It appears to me that the zBX is "z" only in the fact that it will
> connect to a z10 or z196 running z/OS and is therefore part of the
> "zEnterprise".  I'm sure it's an improvement in blade server
> management but it's not like they announced an "IFW"...

There is no requirement for a zEnterprise system to run z/OS.  And zBX is
more "z" than just some cables:
- All of the management is via the (z)HMC.  You do not have direct access
to the System p PowerVM or (later) System x KVM hypervisor.
- All of the warranty/service activities are handled as they are for
traditional z

It's easiest (IMO) to think of it as a single multi-architecture
mainframe.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training