We just finished installing Red Heat 5.6 into a virtual machine
controlled by z/VM 5.4.  Most of what follows is in the manual.

1.  Go to Red Hat's web site and download a copy of the s390 version of
Red Hat.  Get the ISO version.  I downloaded the ISO into my windows
machine.

2.  You need a few files from the ISO. We mounted the ISO image on a
virtual DVD device using Alcohol 120. This allowed us access to the ISO
as if it were a DVD with files on it.

3. Create your zLinux virtual machine using the tools you normally use
to create z/VM userids.

4. I used a windows ftp client to logon to z/VM using the zLinux userid
and password created in step 3. There is a sequence of commands to need
to issue in the ftp session to insure your files get to z/VM in a format
you can use.

5. I used CMS to edit the control files and defined my network. I
connected the zLinux virtual machine to our vswitch.

6.  Download a copy of Putty and VNC Viewer and get ready to use them.

7. Run the STARTUP EXEC you downloaded in step 4.

8. Watch the console and make sure your network comes up okay.  Without
it you don't have a show.

9.  When the console says something about making a connection to start
the installation, start your Putty session. Details are in the manual.

10.  Once the Putty session has started, start your VNC viewer session.
NOTE:  Remember to add :1 to the end of your VNC Viewer connection
string. This connects you to the correct display device.

11.  I run an FTP server on my windows workstation. I created a RedHat
userid and pointed its default directory to the ISO image referred to in
Step 2.

12. When I was asked where the image files are located, I picked the URL
option. When prompted for the URL, I entered
FTP://redhat:redhat@172.30.8.150. "redhat" is the userid and password of
the ftp account. 172.30.8.150 is the ip address of my workstation.

At this point you follow the instructions in the manual.

I am not a Linux person though I am very interested in our installation
gaining the benefits of running zLinux on z-architecture.

If you have a Linux question, I cannot answer. If you have a problem
with the installation, maybe I can help.

Good Luck.

____________________
Jim Hughes
Consulting Systems Programmer
Mainframe Technical Support Group
Department of Information Technology
State of New Hampshire
27 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301
603-271-5586    Fax 603.271.1516

Statement of Confidentiality: The contents of this message are
confidential. Any unauthorized disclosure, reproduction, use or
dissemination (either whole or in part) is prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient of this message, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the message from your system.