From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:52 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: SFS problem

On Thursday, 04/14/2011 at 03:47 EDT, Graves Nora E
<nora.e.gra...@irs.gov> wrote:

> DMSOPN1258E You are  not authorized to write to file XXXXXX 20110413
Z1
:
> I've issued QUERY  ACCESSED.  The directory shows that is accessed
R/W.

> When the write is  unsuccessful, the program then loops through 5
tries
of
> releasing the access,  reacquiring the access, and attempting to write

the file
> again.   This has never been successful.  I've issued both a COPYFILE
and a
> PIPE to try to write the file; these do not work once there has been
failure.

> We've looked at the  operator consoles to see if we can find any jobs
running
> at the same time.   We haven't found any that are accessing that
directory
> structure.
>
> There aren't any  dumps to look at--it looks perfectly successful
other
than
> the fact that it  won't write the file.
>
> Does anyone have any  suggestions of something to try next?

As you can see, it's an authorization error.  Does the worker/submittor
have NEWRITE authority to the directory?  If not, and some part of the
job
ERASEs the file from the directory and then tries to recreate it, it
will
fail, as the authority to the file is deleted if the file itself is
deleted.

In a FILECONTROL directory, R/W access to the directory does not imply
R/W
access to all the files in it!

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant