From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On Behalf Of
Raymond Higgs [rayhi...@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, May 06, 2011 9:11 AM
Subject: Re: Using EMC Clariion SCSI disk with Linux

The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU> wrote on 05/06/2011
07:51:57 AM:

> From: "Crabtree, Anne D" <anne.d.crabt...@wv.gov>
> To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
> Date: 05/06/2011 07:53 AM
> Subject: Using EMC Clariion SCSI disk with Linux
> Sent by: The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
>
> I posted this on IBM-MAIN with not much response so hoping someone
> on z/VM might be able to help.  Opened a PMR with IBM software but
> they feel it is a hardware issue.  Waiting for information on switch
> before contacting IBM hardware folks...
>
> We have a z10 in which I have defined 2 FCP chpids on our FICON
> Express8 cards.  These chpids have NPIV enabled and I have provided
> the open system team with the WWPN's that were generated.  The FCP
> chpids are dedicated to our 1 Linux IFL.  We have connected the
> fiber, but the chpid, while staying ONLINE, gets a SEQUENCE TIME-OUT
> on the HMC.  The light is on on the mainframe side, but not on the
> switch.  The open system team tells me that there is nothing for
> them to do on their side until they can "see" the mainframe (light
> comes on?).  In z/VM, the chips appear fine, defined as FCP with
> devices attached and FREE.  I'm not sure what else I can do from the
> mainframe side to help the situation?  I am not involved in the
> Linux portion but the Linux guy says he can't "see" the luns from
> Linux.  Both sides appear to be waiting on me to fix things!
>
> The SCSI is a "CLARiiON  CX-700 with FLARE (operating system)
> version 26 revision 31 (02.26.700.5.031) which is the latest release
> for the CX-700 product line. "

Anne,

The bad news is that we don't support EMC Clariion, but I have heard accounts
of it working just fine.  Since you are having problems between the channel and
switch, you still will be able to get some IBM support.  I'd check these things:

* Double check the cabling between the channel and the switch.  Is the channel
really plugged into the switch port that you think it is?
* Make sure that the optics in the switch, the optics in the channel, and the
fibre are either all long wave or all short wave.  No mixing.
* Check the switch for bit errors.  If the switch is seeing bit errors, it may
have disabled the port on you.  Or even simpler, was the switch port ever
online?
* Is NPIV enabled on your switch?  There is a panel on the SE called Fabric
Login Status that may have some clues...  Use the HMC to do single object
operatings to your z10 CPC.  Navigate to your channel.  It doesn't matter if it
is the chpid or pchid.  Find "channel operations" in the menus (I'm used to
classic mode so I use those arrows to cycle through the right hand panel.  Use
"channel problem determination".  You might have to select an lpar at this
point.  Then "Fabric login Status...".  This panel shows a bunch of fibre
channel info from the channel about how it is logged into your switch fabric.
There might be some error messages here.

Regards,

Ray Higgs
System z FCP Firmware Development
Bld. 706, B42