From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On Behalf
Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:28 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] zvm directions

On Wednesday, 05/18/2011 at 12:07 EDT, Marcy Cortes
<marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:

> I don't see LGR as a load balancing solution at all.  We will continue
to use
> our F5 load balancers as well as the WAS IHS plugin for that effort.  I
see it
> more for a planned outage move for things you want to move away for a
while
> without the reboot.

An excellent assessment, Marcy.  :-)  LGR was not designed to replace any
application-level workload balancing solutions (F5).  Those balancing
solutions provide the needed HA in case you lose a VM LPAR unexpectedly.

LGR will let you take back control of your VM LPARs.  No longer will you
need to get 15 application owners to agree on a time for you to take down
and service the VM system.  Their servers keep running and the application
monitor dashboard shows green.

Oh, and I suppose there is an additional benefit in that if someone says,
"*I* can relocate a server to a different rack in case it starts to
overheat!" you can stick out your tongue and then say "*I* can relocate a
server when I want to.  My machine doesn't overheat."  :-)

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices