Hi Folks,

For many (many) years, when it comes to managing the IOCDS I  simply
hand-create an IOCP file, use IOCP with WRTAx to store it, and do a POR to
load it.  If the changes are needed immediately, I use CP commands to
manually define the new hardware.

Our z/OS guys want to manage the IOCDS and be able to dynamically activate
an entirely new IODF file (created either on their system or using VM's
HCM/HCD).  I'm unclear as to when/how the changed IODF file becomes
dynamically available to the running z/VM system.  Let's say I store the new
IODF using IOCP with WRTAx to store it, and then execute SET IOCDS_Active to
mark it as the active IOCDS - according to the doc for SET IOCDS_Active this
simply marks the IOCDS as active for the NEXT POR (and write-protects it) -
but it doesn't look like the changes in the new IOCDS are reflected to the
running z/VM system until a POR occurs.

What am I missing here?  Is it even possible to store a new IOCDS, mark it
as active for the next POR AND have CP add/change/delete IO definitions by
comparing the prior IOCDS with the newly activated one?

-Mike