From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On Behalf
Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2011 12:23 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] Question on SHUTDOWNTIME

On Thursday, 06/23/2011 at 07:06 EDT, Marcy Cortes
<marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:
> The default is 30 seconds (Q SHUTDOWNTIME) for the CP's portion of the
shutdown
> process.
> I recall hearing that is good default.
>
> We are seeing systems exceed that - 33 seconds in this one that seemed
to come
> with bonus messages (that is our SW seemed to capture the HCPWRP963I's
on this
> one).
>

> Are others seeing that?

In my experience IPL and SHUTDOWN times are directly related to the number
of devices.  Any device you don't use should be kept in OFFLINE_AT_IPL.
That will drastically improve startup/shutdown.  On one system, I went
from 44 seconds to about 12 by simply getting rid of those pesky
shouldn't-be-in-the-I/O-configuration-anyway MVS volumes.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556