Beg to differ.
While all messages for all monitored userids are logged to Operations
Manager's log on disk, recent (for various values of recent) console
activity is kept in data spaces, the size of which is specifiable.  That's
why, for a particularly active (console-wise) userid, one can only page
back so far. Actually, that can be several days for low-console-activity
userids, but may be only an hour or a few for those which really pump out
messages.

--
Mike Harding
z/VM System Support