On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM, David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> That approach tests not only whether the server is logged in, but whether
> it’s actually functioning. Works well for lots of things, and is low-cost (no
> cost if you run Debian or Fedora for Z).

Depending on how the FTP server fails, you might also see it in your
performance monitor...

With anything that monitors a service by probing, the issue is only
noticed after some time. Once you increase the polling to detect it
quick enough that you still have time to fix it within SLA, the
process uses a lot of resources (in a former life we tested e-mail
delivery like that until 50% of our traffic was probes and 90% of the
outages were caused by them...)

Using SCIF on the FTPSERVE userid, PROP can "watch the console" and
notice the outage immediately. CMS gives you easy tools to arrange the
restart of the server.

Running a Linux virtual machine with agents just to poll the FTP
server is only "no cost" when you have too much resources and spare
time.