On Tuesday, 07/05/2011 at 12:42 EDT, Michael Harding/Oakland/IBM@IBMUS
wrote:
> Beg to differ.
> While all messages for all monitored userids are logged to Operations
Manager's
> log on disk, recent (for various values of recent) console activity is
kept in
> data spaces, the size of which is specifiable.  That's why, for a
particularly
> active (console-wise) userid, one can only page back so far. Actually,
that can
> be several days for low-console-activity userids, but may be only an
hour or a
> few for those which really pump out messages.

We don't really differ on this.  I read "stored" as "permanently stored".
The messages are permanently[1] stored on disk, but as you say, recent
messages are also kept in a data space, one for each monitored user.  The
amount of data in a user's private data space is controlled by DEFDSPS
(default 1M).

I believe all of the VIEWxxx commands get their data only from the data
spaces, not the log file(s).

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556
alan_altm...@us.ibm.com
IBM Endicott

[1] Subject to your retention policy.  Obviously you can't accumulate it
on local disk forever!