On Wednesday, 07/06/2011 at 04:59 EDT, David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net>
wrote:
> > Don't know if you all saw this.
> > I was hoping that when IBM bought them, they might enhance the VM
> > product.  Instead, they killed it.  Sigh.
>
> Figures. That VSAM thing is the killer prereq -- everything that started
life
> on MVS requires it as a prereq, and thus is doomed to destruction.
Convenient
> excuse to kill off more CMS applications.

As I mentioned back in 2009 (what?  you don't remember?), CMS still
supports the "Alternate VSAM Emulator" added in 1985.  It was specifically
invented to enable Something Else to get control when VSAM macros were
used.  SQL/DS exploited it back in the day, if memory serves, but I don't
know if DB2/VM supports it.  (Maybe we added it for the short-lived
CICS/VM?)

See the CMS Application Development Guide to Assembler for details.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556