On Wednesday, 07/20/2011 at 10:18 EDT, Tom Duerbusch
<duerbus...@stlouiscity.com> wrote:
> My manuals (z/VM 5.2) do not show a method of recycling REXECD using the

> OBEYFILE command.  It does show it for about a dozen other servers, but
not for
> REXECD.
>
> Searching the archives, I found very few questions about REXECD and
nothing
> concerning OBEYFILE.
>
> Is it possible that your comment about OBEYFILE to restart TCPIP
servers, a
> general comment and not explicitly for the REXECD server?

The OBEYFILE technique for resetting the restart counter applies to any
server actually monitored by the stack.  That is, those with PORT
reservations that do not have NOAUTOLOG in them.  You will not find any
server-specific reference; only the generic usage note on the MaxRestart
statement.  (And it doesn't apply to RXAGENTx servers because they don't
even talk to TCP/IP!)

> 06:01:09 AUTO LOGON  ***       RXAGENT1 USERS = 62    BY REXECD
> 06:01:09 USER DSC   LOGOFF AS  REXECD   USERS = 61
> USER DSC   LOGOFF AS  REXECD   USERS = 61
> 06:01:12 DTCIPI030W STARTANEWLIFE: VICTIM REXECD....
>   CALLED FOR REASON: CLIENT HAS ENDED TCP/IP SERVICE

REXECD's and RXAGENT1's console logs should have some information on them.
 REXECD is ending *itself*.  Perhaps there is a problem with RXAGENT1's
use of RXSNDIU?  Perhaps some authority problem?

But whatever you do, don't logon to REXECD or RXAGENT1, or use SET SECUSER
to figure out what's happening.  If you try to look at their consoles in
real time, you interfere with their communications.  Rome will burn and
civilization will end.  (SET OBSERVER might be ok...dunno.)

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556