On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Crispin Hugo <crispin.h...@macro4.com> wrote:

> Am I right to assume, if I am clever(?) with the configuration, I could
> connect all 15 LPARS to each other with CTC’s ?

If you also plan to run ISLINK connections between them, you need to
be careful. We had lots of problems in the past when multiple paths
exist between a pair of systems. You can't avoid "through" connections
to build, so while you're bringing up system various indirect
connections already are active. When that intermediate system goes
AWOL, you have lost your conversation anyway.

The approach we used was to have several sets, each with a few
systems. Each set has one "linking pin" through which the traffic
between the sets goes. You pick your linking pin based on service
levels etc. You could have spare links just to start when one system
has a longer outage.

And only join systems that are in the same administrative domain. That
is, user management by a single organisation to enforce one of the
following models
- a single user population such that userid X on each system is owned
by the same warm body
- entirely disjunct user groups, userids defined on only one system
- very small group of consenting adults and no desire to protect
resources (works best for N <= 1)

Because of the intimate nature of cross-system IUCV, other options
take a very good understanding of the applications, a steady hand and
a large badge. And you might still run into technical limitations.

Rob