On Friday, 07/22/2011 at 01:31 EDT, Tom Duerbusch
<duerbus...@stlouiscity.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to remotely execute a command with CMS as the client and SLES
11 SP
> 1 as the server.
>
> All documentation I've found so far, shows how to do it from Linux to
VM.

> Apparently the problem is, TCPIP for VM only has the unsecured REXEC
client and
> SLES 11 only has a secured sshd.

ssh is not a secured version of rexec, but is a different protocol
entirely.  You can run rexecd on Linux if you want, but you're going to
need to set up iptables to prevent connections from the Outside World.  If
you don't do that, then your port security scanners are going to find it
and report you to the Port Authority.  You will then be carted off to the
stockade.

Implicit is the assumption that 'remote' means 'guest on same system or
CEC'.  You do not want to send or receive rexecd over real ethernet.

> I've searched the VM download page for a ssh client.
> I've done some Linux searches for how to dumb down sshd (i.e. to allow
> unsecured transfers).
>
> Of course, there might be program products available, but unless they
would be
> zero cost products, it's not going to happen in the short term.

Sine Nomine has a CMS ssh, scp, and sftp client, but they're not free. See
sinenomine.net.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323
mobile; 607.321.7556