From:   Tom Huegel <tehue...@gmail.com>
To:     IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Date:   08/03/2011 12:20 PM
Subject:        Re: VM Workshop -- Locations
Sent by:        The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

I was not able to attend this year due to a scheduling conflict.
I was wondering, if it is not a secret, about how many did manage to
attend?

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Len Diegel <ldie...@aol.com> wrote:

If you are interested in location selection, I'd suggest contacting Bill
Munson to get on next year's committee.  You can see from the
thread, everyone has some thoughts about it.  This year's committee met
the day before the event to discuss next year's options.  That's one of
the reasons it's important to have good representation on the
committee.  Several locations were considered, including some of those
mentioned here. The list also included Washington State, Michigan State,
Richmond, Austin, U. of RI, Chicago, Boston, SUNY Binghamton, Penn
State etc.. This is how we selected OSU for 2011 and it was agreed that we
should at least consider the following when selecting the next
location(s):
1.)  Inexpensive (relatively speaking) to get there.  Not just to the
airport, but from the airport to the campus.
2.)  University locations only (non-commercial/corporate) to
avoid/neutralize conflicts of some sort.
3.)  Towards the center of the country to avoid losing attendees from the
opposite coast.
4.)  Airport relatively close to the campus  (like less than 30 minutes if
possible)
5.)  Excellent Facilities at a reasonable price.

Each attending committee member had 2 votes (first and second choice).
 U. of Kentucky, OSU, and U. of Nebraska (Omaha campus) took the top 3
votes in that order.  Bill's 2012 committee is already working on these
for next year.  It's not always possible to get the dates, price, etc,
which is the reason for the backups.  BTW,  Rice, UT(Austin), Michigan
State, U of Arkansas, UMKC, were also on the short list.  So plenty of
options were on the table.

I hope this helps.

Len

In a message dated 8/2/2011 6:11:43 P.M. Central Daylight Time,