pippa258 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote:
I'm looking for a gentle bit and remember mullen mouth being mentioned but not
sure which type - loose ring, D-ring or eggbutt?  Do the end rings matter?I've
found a happy mouth mullen eggbutt and loose ring.  The mouthpiece is not solid
smooth like a metal mullen but has two raised "bumps" evenly spaced apart in
the middle of the bit.  This seems common for the
happy mouth as I haven't been able to find a solid smooth bit.   Are these
"bumps" okay or would it be better to find a smooth mouthpiece

Hi Trish,

I use to use a snaffle bit and my horses were ok with it, then I try a french
link bit
and my horses were much happier with the french link. A french link bit is a 3
pc mout it can have a dog bone or a half moon shape in the middle of the bit. A
snaffle is kind of like a nut cracker, ex: if you put a snaffle on your elbow
and pull the rings back it pinches, then you do the same thing with a french
link does not pinch. This want your horse feels in his mouth.
The bit you are talking about with the bumps I don't care for, I rather go with
a smooth mouth piece. ANything with bumps would be ruff to the mouth.

Do you have any photos of the this you are talking about?

Anne