On 6/28/07, Judy Ryder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So, she has probably gone most of her life, just
> offering stuff and either being framed by the rider,
> or mooshing around in whatever.

I don't know anything about her background other than we bought her
from a breeder who had her brought in from Iceland.  I would hope that
they would know how to ride one of their horses, so I figured that I
just don't know how to bring out her bes

> When a trainer doesn't know gaits and can only get
> gaits by framing a horse, the horses miss out on
> learning about gaits themselves (because they don't
> "learn" if they are force framed).

I'm not really sure how to 'frame' so maybe that's what Gat knows and
since I don't, she was confused and was offering me everything trying
to figure me out.  I had her in a sidepull and mostly on a loose rein.
 A few times I would try more contact and a higher hold, just to see
what would happen.  I need to play mo

> So say we have a pacey young horse, and about the best
> gait it'll be able to do under saddle is a stepping
> pace which can be quite comfortable.  We can work with
> the horse and establish that as the default gait, and
> help the horse attain self-carriage, so the horse can
> do it on a loose rein.

How do you get the horse to attain self-carriage?  (I'm sure that's a
big topic!)