all in agreement of the definition, and what to look for in round /
roundness.  Definition?

Well, I guess it's one of those terms that is a continuum, something seen in
degrees, with no absolute end-point.  Since I'm a pleasure, I don't even
think in terms of a significant degree of roundness - just enough to keep my
horses healthy and sound.

I think the first step would be that the horse pushes from behind, driving
his legs up under him as he moves.  When his legs come up under him, his
croup will lower.  That will in turn lift his back, and ultimately lift his
withers.  If you keep going along that goal, the horse's neck will rise such
that the horse's poll becomes the highest point, and the nose will go
towards vertical.  However, all of these statements need to be taken within
the context of any horse's conformation - and of course, with the rider's
end-goal in mind.  As a pleasure/trail rider, I am not concerned at all with
what happens towards the end of the process of getting a horse round -
personally, I don't care if my horses's noses never get vertical, nor if
their polls are never the highest point  - which is probably a good thing,
since most Icelandic's have necks that are too short for that kind of head
carriage to be comfortable anyway.

I also think the degree of roundness will vary depending on what the horse
is doing at the moment, what gait he's traveling in, etc.  I don't expect to
see very much roundness in a horse at liberty - although seeing too much
hollowness at liberty would be a warning flag to me.

Karen
Karen Thomas
Wingate, NC

Checked by AVG Free Edition.