> --In California there has been a case of rabies related to bat
> poopies. This man was from Mexico and the doctors in the hospital
> where I worked could not figure out what was wrong with him. It was
> then brought to their attention that this man was going into the bat
> caves and collecting poop....They then tested him for rabies.  This
> was a number of years ago.  He died.

I was real dubious about this and found this on a CDC website:

"In addition, people cannot get rabies from having contact with bat
guano (feces), blood, or urine, or from touching a bat on its fur
(even though bats should never be handled!). "

More likely he got some saliva on himself, got into a cut on his skin.

The greater question I have is-- WHY was the man going into caves and
collecting bat poop?!  I hope it was for some scientific
research..otherwise, I can't figure out why he would be doing that.

Robyn S