Excuse the graphic nature of my answer, but rabies isn't even shed through
feces, blood or urine.  So even if you rubbed an open cut against a bleeding
cut of a rabid animal, or if you reached inside a horse to clean a rabid animal
out, say for a pelvic exam, you shouldn't be at risk.  Vets still wear rubber
gloves for other reasons, but rabies is actually not transmitted that way at
all.  It's only shed through saliva, brain fluid, or spinal fluid.  Odd, but
much tested apparently.

Yep.  The way the state endicrinologist explained it to us...if we got a smear
of drool from a rabid horse on our hand, by the time we could rub it on another
horse, it would most likely be dead.  I wouldn't want to push that theory,
especially on a 100-degree day, but after a few seconds on a normal-temp day,
the other horse would certainly be safe...unless you had a cut where the horse
drooled and then you'd be in trouble.