I'm not sure about current rules, but back in the day, adults were certainly
showing both Arabs and Quarter Horses that  did not stand 14.2.  I had a
friend who was very successful in both dressage and hunter classes on a tiny
Arab mare and there was a retiree at a nearby boarding facility that had
been a very successful show horse.  I doubt ths little Arab was 13.3.

I do know that there were adults showing animals that were ponies both by
genetics and measurement at a recent Welsh Nationals.  Our pony was one of
many ridden by a small adult.

Nancy