farm.

I think horses know what horses are on their farm, even if they aren't
boarded in the same pastures.  Usually, they see each other at least from
afar, or for short periods - maybe one trail riding next to each other's
pasture, or coming into the barn at the same time for the farrier, etc.  I'd
be willing to bet that all the mares know all the stallions on their same
property!   And, of course, some horses just seem to like each other from
the get-go, for no reason that I can see.   Who knows, maybe Gat was just a
little shy, and along came that charming young studly gelding, who was
looking for a friend, and he charmed her out of her shyness.  :)   I just
think the social interactions within any herd are much more complicated than
most people believe.

Karen
Karen Thomas
Wingate, NC