horse or the rider, whichever is necessary), or resolving other issues such
as pain, nappiness, over-enthusiasm, running home, catching up with other
horses or whatever is the cause, will sort the problem out.

But, what about the typical Icelandic bolting scenario we hear about so
often, where a relatively novice horseperson buys the horse after trying him
out and then he gets to his new home and bolts with his rider.   Why do we
hear about this scenario so much more often with Icelandic's than with other
calm breeds?  In this case, it's basically a done-deal, she/he owns the
horse, and if there was a 30-day suitability guarantee, it may be over.  The
situation has to be coped with, and hopefully, the horse isn't going to just
be passed on, getting more and more confused with each change of ownership.
This is most unfortunate to get to that point, but once at that point, would
a beginner rider/beginner horse owner have the perspective/experience to
isolate the cause?  I don't think so.  So...what then?   I don't think it's
helpful to argue whether the horse is running away or bolting.   Both
situations - IF they are different, and I tend to what you describe are only
degrees of difference of the same problem - are dangerous.  How does a
person in this situation break the cycle?  That's the relevant question, or
so it seems to me.

Mic, you've admitted you've had some fear.  But you have been riding -what?
Twenty plus years?  And you just admitted that you can feel out of control
and you were talking about horses that you've owned for years - what about
someone who suddenly and unexpectedly finds themselves on a horse they may
own but don't have a long history with, and suppose the person has been
riding only maybe a year or so...?

You wrote: "I can ride gallop competently over most terrain. Most places I
ride the footing is good and the horse I'm riding is sure-footed anyway. My
horses are not usually spooky, and not usually that fit that they would be
able to gallop for miles. Yet if I get on the beach or the airfield and feel
out of control (or even as if I might get out of control) I go completely to
pieces. It's not the fear of falling off - it's the whole being out of
control thing. Horrid. But I do know, that 99.9% of the time, if I really
really have to, and I don't panic, I CAN stop the horse at least long enough
for me to get off it. If I was on a genuine bolting horse that would not be
the case."

I think you hit a huge part of the issue with the Icelandic bolting issue in
what you said.  I'd ask you: WHY are you galloping if you know you have fear
issues?  I think that would seem pretty peculiar to a lot of mature riders
in the USA, even those not particularly fearful, at least those outside the
Icelandic influences.  A heck of a lot of riders I know don't gallop - ever.
Some do, yes, if they are comfortable doing so.  And canter, yes, I know
MANY more riders who canter, but not gallop.  But within the Icelandic
circles, most horses are taught to gallop from the get-go, and if a rider
doesn't want to gallop, or is afraid to, he/she is is branded a sissy...

And that speed-is-everything attitude is at the core of what little basic
training WAY too many Icelandic horses ever get.  Maybe THAT'S where the
problem begins...

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:22 PM

IceHorses Community for Photos and Videos:  http://kickapps.com/icehorses

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate,
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo
[] IceHorses Map  http://www.frappr.com/IceHorses