On Nov 14, 2007 9:11 AM, Karen Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> for everything, as my mother used to tell us.
>
> Exactly.
>
> Our Arab seemed "crazy," "flighty" and all sorts of the typical Arab-y
> descriptions when we first got him. >
> The worst case I envision within Icelandic's is when someone takes one of
> these really quiet, slow horses and MAKES them "goey" out of fear and
> confusion. >

Yes, Arabs can be flighty and are more excitable than Icelandics--or
at least they show
more excitement...  My main problem with my Arab was always that he
wanted to go faster
than I did most of the time.  Other than that, he was always very obedient.

My Icelandic, on the other hand, is quite stubborn at times and can be
very frustrating in that
he wants to go in a different direction from what I want on occasion,
or go back to the barn, etc.
and Peggy Cummings taught me to just stop him and sit there for 30
seconds or so and then
try the turn or whatever again--which usually works.

For me, much as I love him, I would say my Icelandic is more difficult
to ride than my Arab ever
was.  It could be a difference in beginning training or something, of
course, but he is not always
easy to ride...  I know I'll probably get a lot of slaps up the side
of the head for saying this, but
for me it is true.  That is why I still take lessons a couple of times
a month.  We are constantly
working on better communication...
Ferne