Not dumb at all.  They have a fast metabolism, meaning it happens about
every 20-30 minutes or so.   Hoover and my Gray know the verbal command, "Go
poopy," so we simply hold them over a paper towel periodically.  I'm not
sure all birds will learn it.  Actually, I first taught her, then one day in
the car, Hoover was imitating every move she made. (Background - she's the
only female I have, and Hoover has been in love with her since the first day
we got him.  Poor Hoover.  The feeling is NOT mutual.)   So, on a hunch,
right after she "went", I switched birds, held him over the paper towel, and
said, "Go poopy."  Ah, what Hoover is motivated to learn in the name of
love....  It worked. Well, at least as far as the potty training.  It didn't
seem to win him any points in love unfortunately.  He still gets on her
nerves.   Mostly, she ignores him, but if he gets too close, she'll say,
"Qu-it!"  (with two-syllables for emphasis), or, "NO!", or (my favorite),
"STUPID BIRD!"  After 12 years, he still hasn't given up hope - what an
optimist.

We do have some accidents along - best not get a bird if you can't take
that!

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
2:55 PM