> Hi Karen,
> feet past the trailhead,
> and mounts there.

>I like that idea.  But Dagur always backs up when I
>try to get on.  I guess I got to be quick

  Lorraine

Hi Lorraine

if he backs up when you are getting on, then you have some basic
manners stuff to work on.  He should stand absolutely still when you
get on and not move until you say so, and then only in the direction
you ask.  Drifa also moved when I got on when I got her, so I just made
her move MORE - backward, sideways, in circles - and after a pretty
short time (couple of sessions, actually) she learned that it was
easier to hold still than to move.  Drifa is exceptionally brilliant,
though, and other horses might take longer.  ;-)  If the horse is
moving when you are getting on or before you are ready to move - that
is dangerous.

Penny