--- Nancy  Sturm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I want my horse to enjoy his work.<<

Since I am not an arena rider, this "work" at home
doesn't translate to the trail. Actually, the trail
becomes a better place to be - that is the reward.

> I also don't like to turn a barn sour horse back to
> the barn.  I want him to have the "reward" of
getting it right  and  to learn that the  correct
behavior is to walk away from the barn willingly<<

Since my horse doesn't race back home, this is not a
problem.  It only takes a week or two to have the
horse willingly leave home.  Then minor balks are
easily delt with.  But sometimes in the beginning,
when the resistance is at it's worst, you have to make
it an easy choice for the horse:  go nicely away from
home, or work your ass off at home.

Susan in NV
  Nevermore Ranch http://users.oasisol.com/nevermore/

Make Yahoo! your homepage.