with every saddle until the Sensation/equine chiro found some issues with
some of the saddles which we immediately stopped using..go figure.

My two main riding horses over the years have both been palominos.  I
honestly don't know how you can say the horse does or doesn't have any white
hairs in the saddle area.  Sundance was darker than Sina, but both had
dapples, making for some odd color patterns.  And, if you look at any
palomino coat carefully, you'll see that there is almost a roan-like pattern
of whiter hairs interspersed in the golden hairs.  And, not even considering
the "roaning," I see some subtle patterns on Sina that don't seem literally
explained by dapples ... I'm sure you could see horribly big white patches
on a palomino, but lesser patches, I sure wouldn't bank on.

Sundance never had any noticeable white patches in his saddle area...but man
oh man, did that horse have some SERIOUS muscle atrophy on his back.  If
only I could go back and live my life with him again.  He probably never had
a really well-fitting saddle in his life, but I only remember one saddle
that made him complain.

There was a really cute palomino Icelandic at the Liz Graves clinic a few
weeks ago.  The rider was a very conscientious-type owner, and she was so
afraid that her Icelandic was getting white hairs on his back from her
saddle.  I stared and stared, and we asked several others to look at his
back too.   I was never convinced that there was any saddle-related
discoloring on his back.  I honestly think the coloring was just natural for
him.

That's why I often comment on the white hairs that I KNOW aren't saddle
related.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's WONDERFUL that more people than
ever are concerned about saddle fit and are looking to do the best they can
by their horses.  But, sometimes I'm afraid the trend is going too far.
Gosh, I hate to see people dropping perfectly good saddles - maybe for
something much worse - for reasons that may not even be saddle-related, or
for white hairs that might have been induced years prior, by saddles long
abandoned.

Karen
Karen Thomas
Wingate, NC

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
8:34 PM

IceHorses Community for Photos and Videos:  http://kickapps.com/icehorses

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate,
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo
[] IceHorses Map  http://www.frappr.com/IceHorses