in heat, is pregnant.  Karen called it "false heat". I have never had any
experience with that. With all the breeding I have done, this concept is
entirely new to me. A standing heat (which is what the mares seemed to show)
to me meant close to ovulation.

I'm really sorry that Anneliese won't be having any little Melnirs.   I was
looking forward to some little (tow-headed?) babies cavorting in the
paradise of Unicorn Valley...

To complete the details of the story, Melnir was only there for five days,
and most any vet will tell you that breeding five mares in five days is not
ideal.  It doesn't give much time for the sperm count to build back up
between breedings.  (Not that I have to worry about protecting his
reputation or anything - he's a great gelding, so his reputation isn't
exactly on the line here!  :) )

Most vets will advise not to breed a stallion more than once a day, maybe
twice.  But, when they pasture breed, they breed much more often than that.
I'm sure some get pregnant right off the bat anyway, but by restricting the
contact, you should be able increase the odds of immediate conception.

I know that 2-3 of my mares seemed to cycle immediately when I put them in
with him the first year, but at least two were back standing for him a week
or two later.  Ultrasounds showed that the two got pregnant on the later
heat.  Since normal heat cycles are 21 days apart.   I know the dates that
Christine told me that Bjola, Brunka and Saga stood for their stallions
before they came to live with us, but the ultrasounds I had done immediately
upon their arrival showed they didn't conceive then, but instead all
conceived right before they left Canada for NC.

Anyway, I sure didn't breed that many mares, so I don't have as much
experience as some others - but I have ultrasounded all my mares within
15-21 days of breeding, so I have a pretty good idea of when my pregnant
mares did conceive and when they didn't.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:56 PM

IceHorses Community for Photos and Videos:  http://kickapps.com/icehorses

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate,
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo
[] IceHorses Map  http://www.frappr.com/IceHorses