On 12/5/07 3:31 AM, "Mic Rushen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How long were they with him for? Or were they covered in hand? If so,
> how many times over how many days? And does he have lots of other
> foals this year? (if not I would worry about his fertility...)
>
> Sorry you won't be having any next Srping, though, that's a real
> shame.
>
> Mic

Me too, and it is all my fault, not Melnir's. I have since heard that when
mares first come in contact with a stallion (if they are not normally near a
stallion), they tend to act as if they were in heat. My experience for all
these years until I sold my stallions was that mares would stand for
breeding only if close to ovulation; but that was when there were stallions
here. And before and after that there would be just a lot of squealing etc.

My mares had not seen or been near a stallion since Melnir left here over
three years ago. So I suppose they were making the best of the situation and
Melnir did not quarrel. If I had followed Karen's advice to leave Melnir
here for another few weeks, I am certain the results would have been much
better. It's to bad that at this age I still have to learn from bad
experiences.

Anneliese