correct my balance.  Hunter is an edgy, reactive little guy (I love him.  I
really do love this horse) and it took me a while to figure out that he was
made anxious when my leg rested on his side.  So now, not only do I not
weight my stirrup, I have to let may leg fall in a really relaxed fashion so
that I'm not using it to balance on his body..  The whole thing has really
helped me to regain my balance in motion.  I can't remember what I was
doing, maybe just dropping my stirrups for a rest, and some "event" happened
out on trail not long ago.  He sort of surged forward and then took a few
trot steps.  I was still right in the middle when we finished.  Still
stirrup-less.

That's a great example, Nancy, and exactly what I was talking about.  Gosh,
I rode for 15 years before my injury - I was younger, fitter, and braver
those first 15 years too.  But, I was never what you'd call a natural
rider - I have always been able to learn to do various sports adequately,
but I'm a long way from being a "natural athlete" in any sense, but I'm sure
I passed as having decent position, and a decent seat...but I know I didn't.
Not REALLY.  Bracing my ankles was always one of my biggest riding faults,
but FINALLY, it's not the issue for me that it once was.  I guess that's why
I always bring the topic up - if I could get better with that dad-blasted
old habit, at my age, little natural ability, and after a debilitating
injury, then I know most people can at least improve - if they choose to
make it a priority.

I give credit to two things for breaking my stirrup-dependence: lessons and
treeless saddles.  I spent a LOT of time regaining my balance after my
accident.  I took "physical therapy riding lessons", really working to get
over my physical limitations AND my fear issues.  And, because of Sina's
conformation and comfort, I HAD to move to a treeless saddle.  The two
factors also made me face up to riding faults that I'd had all these years,
but had been able to conveniently ignore when I was younger (and bounced
better when I got dumped), and that didn't show up in a rigid saddle.
Looking back, I KNOW the treed saddles often allowed me to be ignorantly
blissful of my faults, but I'm sure my horses took the brunt of my faults.
THEY knew, even if I chose to ignore the faults.  I can't stress enough how
valuable I think riding bareback - or at least treeless - is for building
rider skills.  I hope people whose horses aren't suited to treeless saddles
will find a safe (and supervised) way to work on their riding balance - even
if it's only riding with your feet out of your stirrups in a small, safe
area periodically, for short periods - even if you have some one hold your
horse on a lunge line while you did it.   (Just be safe at first, and use
common sense.)

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
7:31 PM

IceHorses Community for Photos and Videos:  http://kickapps.com/icehorses

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate,
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer

[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo
[] IceHorses Map  http://www.frappr.com/IceHorses