On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 07:15:46AM -0500, Karen Thomas wrote:
> Anyway, her quote above makes me think of something.  A lot of us have heard
> the old warnings that we shouldn't use our legs on our Icelandic's.  I've
> heard some Icelandic's described as "well-trained" but buyers were warned
> never to use legs on them.   Isn't that a conflict in terms?  Ok, how can a
> horse be "well-trained" in any sense if you can't put your legs on him
> without risking him/her taking off like a rocket?

let's consider what "training" means.  it means "association of an
action by a rider with a desired response by the horse", yes?

so for any given rider, their range of actions is what's available to
the horse.  i suspect that people familiar with horses such as you
describe wuold no more miscue them with their legs than i would set off
a racetrack bell near an ottb.  that doesn't mean they're not
"well-trained"; it may mean they are "unsuitable for janice" (who
doesn't seem the ottb type to me either).

stjarni seems to tune himself somewhat to different riders.  i go to a
lot of effort to help my students build a quiet, stable leg, but more to
help them avoid the "wobbly" feelings janice has complained about than
to keep stjarni from taking off lightning-like (he won't do that in the
ring anyway, but besides that, his training is such that his cue for
that is a half-seat, a cluck, and a release with the reins -- no leg at
all).  he *might* let j get away with a jiggy foot; i don't know.  he
lets some of my students get away with their legs sliding back halfway to
his croup, for instance.  but a jiggy foot from me -- that gets lateral
movement away from my foot.  a foot moved back -- even an eighth of the
way croupwards -- from me means "this cue is just for your hindquarters".

is that "bad training"?  i don't think so; i taught him that on purpose
and am glad he's gotten good at it, though i now have to work even
harder on my own stability of leg so as not to cue him inadvertently.
(or perhaps he is training me, which i feel is within his job
description as a school horse.)

i guess my summary point here is, a connection between rider action and
horse reaction is not inherently "bad training".  indeed, a reliable
relationship between the two is *good* training.  after that the only
rough bit is matching up horse and rider and getting them to understand
one another, which i think is best done at the one-to-one level (as with
janice and tivar), so that the two partners know what to expect and how
to get along.

--vicka