>  that doesn't mean they're not
> "well-trained"; it may mean they are "unsuitable for janice" (who
> doesn't seem the ottb type to me either).
>
> stjarni seems to tune himself somewhat to different riders.  i go to a
> lot of effort to help my students build a quiet, stable leg, but more to
> help them avoid the "wobbly" feelings janice has complained about than
> to keep stjarni from taking off lightning-like (he won't do that in the
> ring anyway,

re: "unsuitable for janice"  this is bearing in mind most people think
i should wear a tee shirt that says "I do my own stunts" and you
havent been on the list long enough to read of some of my more
adventurous debacles.  oh the stuff my poor jaspar has lived thru...
i dont know which was worse, when the mountain of clay collapsed and
we fell through and i was suddenly up to my neck and he was
underground trying to heave hisself out, or the time we were tripping
along in the shallows of a huge lake and he fell into a gator nest and
was thrashing to get out and rolled over on me, pinning me
underwater... or hmm, lessee, there was that one time when I fell off
him five times in five minutes and had to mount him jumping off a
cliff like gene autry and landing on his back (thus the five times in
five minutes.)  and I have ridden two ottb's by the way.  neither was
as zoomy and squirrely as my gaited stonewall who beat one of them at
a full gallop coming from 500 yards behind.  or hmm... oh well, its so
old now.  the main reason i let my feet whop against teev's side when
we ride is I am so utterly relaxed and so is he, just dun de dum,
sauntering, my legs just doing what they want.  smelling roses.  he is
used to it now!  he loves it i think.  he sure doesnt object!  i bet
he thinks of it like its a nice rhythm to walk to, going step and then
my foot clunk, step clunk step clunk, the rhythm of the road, or trail
as it were.  like rhythm beads...  and i know he doesnt mind because
when he stopped to pee and I clinked him on purpose he reach and
clacked his teeth at my toe like "knock it off, i have to do this now"

Janice--
yipie tie yie yo