Janice, You state that the horse never gets release with a dropped
noseband.  Are you saying that the horse feels no release when the
pressure on the reins (thus the bit and mouth) is softened?  I
thought about what you said, and realized that the horse doesn't
ever feel complete release even if there is no nose band.  The bit
is still in the corners of the mouth and across the tongue. When you
are riding a horse there is always pressure on his back, and there
is pressure on his sides even if your leg is draped softly on his
sides. I don't see that one can ever give total release when
riding.  Why do you feel that a dropped noseband is inherently
cruel?  Are using keepers on a full cheek bit cruel too?  I don't
see how just holding or steadying the bit in the horse's mouth is
more cruel than using a bit at all.
If you can explain it in a scientific way on the mechanics of
dropped vs no dropped, I would reconsider my opinion.  Facts,
though, not opinion or emotion, are needed for your argument.

[moderator's note:  please use email list netiquette when posting to the
list, by deleting the previous post from the bottom, or only quoting a line
from the previous post and putting your response below that quote; thanks]