Hi Karen
>>>I understand that our conversations morph quickly, but when I started
this subject line, I wasn't talking about cutting horses.  That's a whole
'nuther ball of wax, from the way I've heard the warnings against the use of
legs on Icelandics.

While the topic did morph, I started the morphing with the reining horse
analogy; I don't think it entirely different.  I have know quite a few
people who buy and ride cutting horses who are not great or experienced
riders but have the trainer work the horse and they get on and do their best
to stay out of the way.  One of the reasons that they keep their legs off
the horse is, yes so the horse can show he is doing the job, however, if a
leg does go on the horse it means that the horse needs to move NOW.  There
are different ways of achieving this but a common one is the use of spurs
used rather clearly.  So if a leg touches the horse they move.

With riding Icelandics trained in Iceland I think it also depends on what
type of riding a person comes from.  If a person is used to a sensitive
horse I didn't find they had so much trouble - but if they came from either
really dead sided horses that they were taught to kick or they came from a
hunter background where they were taught to hang on with the calf then that
could be a problem.   Having horses understand the use of a light leg, but
not be afraid of accidental bumping, is something we have worked on with
many imported Icelandics.  It was something that we stressed when buying
horses and sometimes the horses were quite fine and sometimes not.

We have imported about 400 Icelandics over 30 years and ridden that many
more in Iceland while trying horses.  The leg sensitivity issue did get
better as we went along. I definitely rode some horses in Iceland that were
WAY more sensitive (actually I would say nervous and uneducated about the
leg) than I would ever consider for resell but I also rode some great horses
that were really suitable.

If I don't know how a rider is trained or used to riding I will often advise
riders to be sure not to kick the horses (I think it rude to any horse) and
start out by giving light signals.  I think many of the Icelanders might do
the same thing as a precaution if they don't know what the rider will do.
For those of you who have gone trekking in Iceland what were you told?

Have you ridden many imported horses?  If so did you find them all overly
reactive to your leg?  I would guess that from how you ride most of them
would not be a problem for you but I don't know your experiences.

Robyn

Icelandic Horse Farm
Robyn Hood & Phil Pretty
Vernon BC Canada